Saturday, January 26, 2008

Ruthie's Birthday!

Today is my baby's birthday. Ruthie was born 8 years ago when we had 16 inches of snow on the ground. She was almost a home birth. She was the fifth baby that my midwife delivered within 24 hours (because of the change in pressure systems). Ruthie was born 4 weeks early, my one and only early bird:-)
Ruthie had a really fun day today. She opened her gifts. The picture below shows a gift we gave her for her art supplies. Ruthie is very artistic. She enjoys crafting with Anna and Maggie.
One of Ruthie's favorite birthday traditions is going out for lunch with Sarah. They went to Panera bread. Then they went shopping for shirts. Ruthie and Sarah love to shop and spend time in town. Two peas in a pod.
Ruthie's second favorite tradition is making a fancy birthday cake with Maggie. One thing you can count on with Ruthie's cakes is that they are always horse or western themed. Last year Ruthie and Maggie made two cakes shown here:

This year's cake has a Momma horse and her foalie:

Maggie enjoyed using her new tip #233 to make the grass. She also enjoyed making the sun (closeup below).
This morning I cooked some bacon and decided to try making bacon gravy. I had heard about bacon gravy from my Tennessee friends, so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Well, they can have their artery-choking gravy. I was surprised at how bland it was considering the bacon, but even after adding salt and pepper, it was nothing to rave about. Never again.
Tonight we are eating leftovers ~ sourdough biscuits, ham, gyros, BBQ, salad and rice. Something for everyone!

Anna also made Ruthie a little dollie dress for her doll, but I haven't taken a picture yet. Cute as a button. I'll try to post that picture tomorrow.

Have a worshipful Sunday.

Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: