Friday, January 25, 2008

Chess time!

Allen enjoys the game of chess immensely. He's really good at it too. He belongs to the chess club at homeschool co-op, which is a lot of fun for him. Some day he hopes to go to the county's chess night at the library. Anyhow, I thought Allen would enjoy this large version of chess that I found cheaply on Amazon.
I also bought him this Chess for Four game. Many years ago I spent a lot of time reading about strategy games and how they help children become critical thinkers. My children who have the most common sense also are the best strategists. So I've always encouraged strategy games.

Since I spent a bit of time surfing for chess games this week, I thought I'd share with you a couple that I enjoyed looking at.
These are heavy duty plastic pieces. Same with the pieces below:

The above is probably my favorite. Looks elegant. There are many different "giant" games online. Checkers come in 11" round pieces (3-1/2" thick). The good thing is that these games can be bought cheaply for under $100 if you buy from Amazon or eBay (regularly $300-500).
Sarah made dinner tonight. I almost forgot to take a picture, as usual, so pardon the lack of focus. We had Bourbon Chicken, baked mushrooms, brown rice, and sauteed napa cabbage. It was delicious and disappeared quickly.

I went ahead and ordered another base for my food dehydrator that stopped working. Since I had invested in the 12 trays, spice tray, and 6 fruit leather trays, it was worth it to buy another base for $30. It came today, so tomorrow I hope to buy a bushel of apples at the Farmers' Market to dry for snacks.

Have an enjoyable weekend. Keep warm and drive safely.

Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: