Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Happy 50th Wedding Anniversary, Mom and Dad

Friday the 15th was my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. They were married in a blizzard in 1958. When the wedding guests arrived, the flurries were starting up and two hours later when it was time to leave, there was 2-1/2 ft of snow in Glen Burnie, Maryland.
Tonight was our night to help Dad cook dinner for his church, so I couldn't get a picture of them together. Here's Mom enjoying her cake. Mom loves cake. Anyhow, thanks so much Mom and Dad for being married for 50 years. It means a lot to me that both of you (as well as my inlaws who have been married 57+ years) have given us such a gift.
Here we are in the kitchen at Dad's church. It was a lot of work today because Dad always gives the folks many choices of dishes. But not as many people showed up, I think because of the snow (counted 95 folks). Tonight I brought home a whole turkey, a whole ham, chicken wings, baked beans, salad, rolls, chili, and lots of little leftovers. I'm thankful it's in the 30s outside because there is no room in my fridge!
Maggie and Anna have fun posting the menu for Dad. This morning we had homeschool co-op. Here's Lizzie enjoying her quilting class (they had one missing because of sickness):
And Maggie taught her boys' class how to make gnocchi that they loved (and they, too, were missing one due to sickness):
And my ukulele class is doing wonderfully! And yes, we too had one missing because of sickness. So tonight we finally got home at 8 o'clock. I was nervous about driving on our mile-long dirt road with two major hills, but the Lord was gracious and it was uneventful.
My children immediately went sledding. See the large aluminum bowl in the picture below? I bought three of these bowls for $15 on eBay a few years ago. I thought I was going to use them for salads and such, but was I shocked when they arrived! They are huge. Perfect for sledding!
Yesterday I went into our basement and found all the snowsuits lying around in piles, so I told the children to put them away in the bins. Tonight Anna was all excited and said, "Mom, thank you so much for making us put the snowsuits away yesterday. That was the best thing that ever happened to us!" Only my children would reason that it wouldn't snow while the snowsuits were easily accessible:-)

Hope you are enjoying your weather wherever you are. We are supposed to get snow for another hour or so, then another system on Saturday evening. Hope it's a doosie...with electricity so I can sew!


Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: