Tuesday, April 24, 2007

This is my birdhouse, out in the middle of our field. I have been trying unsuccessfully for three years to attract purple martens. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. My neighbor has too many purple martens and he keeps asking me to encourage them to start a neighborhood on my property. I think my problem is that I need another birdhouse or two. According to several websites I've read, purple martens like lots of neighbors nearby. But housing is expensive, even for birds! If you have any suggestions, let me know.

This year I am going to try to attract Baltimore Orioles. I am going to the Dollar Store tomorrow hoping to find some large orange plates or bowls to put out for them. Evidently I need to have lots of orange in order to attract them. We'll see how it works. They sure are pretty.

One bird I have no trouble attracting is the Goldfinch. I counted 59 of them at one time. They sure are beautiful with their bright yellow feathers. Of course, I have lots of chickadees, cardinals, bluebirds, wrens, tufted titmouses and one big mean bluejay.

Maggie made Panani sandwiches for dinner...yummy! I couldn't get a picture because they got eaten so quickly!

I bought two DVDs for Maggie, Wilton's Basic Cake Decorating and Wilton's How To Make Icing Flowers. They are really good. So today Maggie and Ruthie made cake decorations for Anna's upcoming birthday cake. The flowers aren't as thick and rich as they should be because Maggie had to use nondairy milk which is water based. But they sure look beautiful! (Daisies are my favorite flowers and decorated my wedding cake!)

The DVDs are easy to get from Amazon but I bought them half price from Ebay.

Today was warm with a bit of humidity but still beautiful. We are expecting rain for the next few days.

Well, the twins just came in and told me Maggie and Ruthie rode their bikes down the road and Ruthie has run out of stamina. Guess I have to go rescue her!

Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: