Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Today we had "end of summer panic," meaning, we realized our season of fresh sweet corn is about to end. So off to our menonite neighbor for 2 dozen ears and a large basketful of green beans that had been picked an hour before. Lizzie and Anna dug up the fingerlings and I had them in the oven a few minutes later. Yummy!Today we made whole grain, sourdough breadsticks. I put all the ingredients in the bread machine while we did math drill sheets. It came out looking like this huge wad of dough. For the toppings, we added dried, minced garlic, coarse salt, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds. I would've brushed the breadsticks with an egg wash, but we can't eat eggs. So we just pressed the toppings into the dough. Worked fine. We used 1 tsp of each ingredient for the toppings.Oops ~ almost forgot. We also added 1 tsp of freshly ground cornmeal. That kept the breadsticks from sticking to the pan.
Here they are ready to go into the oven.
And here they are all baked. We decided that next time we will make the breadsticks thinner and roll in more of the toppings. We dipped the breadsticks in marinara sauce. What a perfect lunch! I am reading a set of sobering books right now. Fascinating but sobering. They are called, "This Little Church Went To Market," and "This Little Church Stayed Home," by Gary Gilley. This pastor/author has a lot of insight on today's churches. Poor hubby. I was reading this book at bedtime, and I kept nudging Mike with all the profound information I was reading!


If you'd like to borrow these books, let me know and I will get them to you. I should be finished reading them in a week. Every pastor, elder, deacon, and church member should be required to read these books.

The leaves are turning yellow. The ocean is stirring up continual tropical storms. Life is so exciting. Enjoy it all.

Many blessings ~ Kathie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathie! Even though I haven't had an extra minute to comment lately, I still like to keep up with your posts altho sometimes I've had to read them a few days late.

Is the This Little Church Stayed Home book specifically about home church or not really? If it is, I'd enjoy reading that one. And, maybe even if it's not, I'm sure it would be good. Thank you for the offer.