Thursday, September 11, 2008

Anna finished two more quilts this week. This quilt is for her bed. It is a little wider than a twin size. It looks distorted because of the way we washed and hung it. That will all go away once she uses it.
She also made this adorable baby quilt. The fabrics are so nice, I wish they would show up on the picture.
Today, Allen and I were driving through amish country and we came upon this bull. He looked huge. Right next to the fence were two horses pulling a buggy. The bull looked huge compared to the horses. Last week I bought this rusty, old cast iron pan on eBay for $4.70 and $9.89 shipping. I'd been trying to buy one of these for awhile, so I was thrilled. I have a feeling the sight of rust scared everyone away. Not me!
It took me all of 5 minutes to sand away the rust with my tough scrubby sponge, then wash with soapy water. After that, I put it in a warm oven for about 10 minutes. I only used about a teaspoon of oil to season the whole pan. Doesn't it look wonderful?! So today I used Paula Dean's Soft Ball Pretzels recipe to make a batch of soft pretzel rods. I followed the recipe exactly, using white flour. They were delicious. The cast iron gives the pretzels a slight crust while making the inside very chewy. Perfect! The pretzels disappeared quickly.
While I was at class with Allen, Lizzie and Ruthie made a second batch of soft pretzels using only whole wheat flour. Another winner...and much healthier. Anna then helped the girls make dinner so that we could sit down to eat when I came home. Thanks so much, girls. Everything was wonderfully delicious.


Today Mike took Maggie to Walter Reed Army Medical Center for yet another appointment. The doctors are ready to totally change course and try new things in their efforts to help Maggie. We are so thankful. What an answer to prayer.

Tonight Maggie told me that she was feeling very peaceful. She said there is nothing like a trip to the hospital to make you realize how much you have. Especially at a hospital like Walter Reed where the full effects of the war are evident. I'm thankful that the Lord has allowed Maggie this peace.

Well, we're all scrambling to pack. We leave for Bethany Beach, Delaware, first thing in the morning. I can hardly wait to hear the waves crashing on the beach.

Enjoy your weekend. Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: