Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Padre Island in Corpus Christi, Texas

We're here! It took us 31 hours but we did it. Twice we stopped to take naps for 1-1/2 hours. I'm so glad we drove straight through. I enjoyed all the wonderful western scenery in Texas. A lot of cattle and trains.
You can see why they say, "It's a big country." You can see for miles and miles across the flat Texas prairie.
Corpus Christi was a shock for me. Every store imaginable is here. There are three Walmarts within a 5-mile strip. (All three still sell fabric...with wonderful prints!)
I enjoy all the cactus plants around the stores.
Padre Island reminds me of San Diego. Same kinds of homes with the Spanish tiles. Lots of maritime influence. My parents are very proud of their plain front yard. When they came down this past winter, the yard was covered in weeds and sand burrs. My Dad says Padre Island reminds him of Florida 20 years ago.
You are free to drive on the beach (this is our minivan)...
and camp on the beach! There are very few folks around. And the drivers are so nice! Maybe it's because of my Maryland license plate.
March is Man-of-war season. Now they are dying off and we see hundreds of them all over. The deadly tentacles dry up quickly, so you don't see them here. Allen brought his metal detector to see what he can find. I'll let you know if he's lucky.
My children are enjoying living in a neighborhood.

Today we went antiquing and enjoyed talking to the locals. Maggie is seeing the chiropractor every day. Unfortunately she is experiencing pain before she'll get better. Nothing new for her though.

We are really enjoying our time here. The Lord allowed so many obstacles to be overcome to make this trip possible. For those of you who are praying for us, I will keep you updated on Maggie. So far, so good.

Many blessings ~ Kathie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathie ~ loved seeing the Texas countryside! And glad you made it there safely. I'll be praying for the doctor's visits while you are there. Have fun visiting and being in a different setting.