Wednesday, March 18, 2009

This past week I was reading a cake blog and read about a Root Beer Cake. Wow! I love root beer (especially birch beer!), so I kept the idea of making a sourdough root beer cake in the back of my brain. So when I was in the Dollar Store yesterday and saw this 11" tall bottle of root beer soda, I grabbed it.
I googled "root beer cake recipe" and came up with several really good recipes to try. I saved the recipes to try when I have the time. But at the www.rootbeer.org I found this recipe for Black Cow Caramel Sauce that uses 2 cups of rootbeer. Since it was fast and simple, I tried it this morning. Since I have to make everything dairy and egg free, I used Fleischmann's Unsalted (must be unsalted...the salted version has whey) margarine, and Silk Creamer (original flavor). This is what the end result looks like...not much to look at...but delicious! I can tell that this sauce would be a lot creamier with the casein of cow's milk. But this will definitely be a keeper recipe.
We ate our sauce over Tofutti's Vanilla Ice Cream and loved it. Sorry the lighting is bad. But do give this recipe and website a try.

We are off to help Granddaddy cook dinner for his church. Tonight's menu? Breakfast! Yikes. It's gonna be a tricky meal for sure.

Enjoy this midweek day. Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: