Thursday, October 23, 2008

While Dad was in Texas, he got to go fishing a lot with his friend, Randy. Dad brought home this picture of his prize trout. The local Tacklebox store took this picture and posted it on their bulletin board. They gave Dad a copy for bragging rights. Too bad we weren't there to eat it!
Yesterday was our Wednesday to help Dad cook dinner for his church. Dad cooked a whole pig outside in his smoker. It was a 140 lb piglet! I thought for sure that would barely feed 95 people, but we still brought home enough meat to fill 5 1-gallon baggies. I've got it in my freezer. I keep telling everyone we're having pork taquitas for Thanksgiving dinner. They all laugh...but I may have the last laugh yet! (Picture shows my sis-in-law Natalie with darling Abby, Dad, and Uncle Norm.)
Yesterday before church, I made two apple pies on the spur of the moment.
I used Maggie's pie topper cut out thing and liked it. I thought it would dry out the apples that were exposed, but not so. The funny thing about the pies yesterday is that I only had them half baked when it was time to leave. So I turned off the oven but left the pies in. When I dashed back home 2 hours later, the pie plates were still too warm to touch, so I got hot mitts and took them out of the oven. I got many compliments on these pies. Several people said it was the best apple pie they'd eaten! So you never know about these things:-)
It was a breeze to transport my pies in these pie carriers from Walmart.I also like the vent holes in the top since my pies were still warm when I covered them.
I used this Apple Bake Seasoning from Watkins that my friend, Bonnie, had given me. Yummy!
This is the beginning of the line coming through. This is when my Dad, brother, children and I all sit down and breathe a deep sigh of relief.


I'm off to take Maggie to therapy. Lizzie has been doing violin and piano with Ruthie. What a help that is.


Tomorrow night is our last warm night (relatively) and then the nights dip into the 30s for awhile. I read today that it's been 22 days since we've had any measurable precipitation. It's dry!


Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: