Thursday, January 28, 2010

This is my daughter, Sarah, and her best friend, Rebekah. They call each other Aisha and Robin. They've been friends for many years, and I've enjoyed watching their friendship. Rebekah is getting ready to have a baby boy in a couple weeks, and we're all excited as can be!
Sarah wanted to sew a quilt for Rebekah, so she had fun choosing some flannels. She then had Anna cut the fabric into squares. I love the way all the colors coordinate.
Then she got to work sewing. Sarah prefers the Esante sewing machine...sounds like an 18 wheeler! But at least she never has to worry about anyone borrowing her machine.
Then she spent all day handstitching the binding on while watching Charles Dicken's Great Expectations. Her fingertips were sore by the time she was finished...but she says it was well worth it.
Then we had fun modeling the quilt with a baby doll.
One tired but happy Sarah...and one beautiful and warm quilt!
Last night we went over to my parents' home to watch cooking shows. On the way home we were unable to get to the highway because the road was blocked by many firetrucks. We had to turn around and take the long way home. Well, today I read on our local fire department's website that there had been a housefire. The house is completely destroyed. We are so thankful to learn that the house had been unoccupied. (You can see pics on the website.)
Everyday in the winter, or when it's cold weather, I wear black knee-hi socks. So every once in a while I get asked about where I buy my socks. It happened again today. I get my socks through this plain catalog (plain meaning amish and mennonite). If you'd like a copy, call the number on the front, or email them.What I love most about my socks is that they are 70% cotton. I also like that they are called "tall and all" so that they don't fall down my legs and have to be pulled up. I always buy black but my daughters prefer the white.
In this day and age, it seems rare to hear about a conservative newsman, so I was pleasantly surprised to read in my Worldmag.com this week that Brit Hume took a stand for Christianity. (I got this photo from AP News file.) According to World magazine, Brit Hume offered this advice for Tiger Woods, "So my message to Tiger would be, 'Tiger, turn to the Christian faith and you can make a total recovery and be a great example to the world.'" Mr. Hume also said about Tiger Woods' Buddhist faith, "I don't think that faith offers the kind of forgiveness and redemption that is offered by the Christian faith."


As one would expect, the critics have been scornful of his remarks. But I for one am thrilled to hear of someone in Mr. Hume's position standing up for his faith. Mr. Hume came to know Jesus Christ after the suicide death of his son in 1998.

My parents arrived home this afternoon after a 29-hour trip from Texas. I am glad today was relatively warm for their homecoming...but unfortunately we are getting socked with bitterly cold weather tomorrow. Welcome home, Mom and Dad!


Enjoy your weekend. Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: