Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I just learned that Padre Island, Texas, is the longest undeveloped shoreline in the contiguous US. I'm not surprised. It seems to go on forever. We live in North Padre Island which is sparsely populated. South Padre Island is more like Ocean City, Maryland, with all the hotels and restaurants. I'm including this map to show you the length of it.
I keep trying to find the one picture that will capture the essence of Padre Island.
When we leave Padre Island to go to Corpus Christi to shop, we drive over this beautiful Laguna Madre. I never tire of its magnificent beauty. It is very shallow. Many times we will drive over and see some fisherman way out but only up to his waist.
After Laguna Madre we drive thru Flour Bluff (1/2-mile?) then over Oso Bay to Corpus Christi. This picture shows Oso Bay. Always this wonderful blue color. (Laguna Madre is green and blue.)
So that's pretty much why I haven't written since Friday. It's just all beach, beach and more beach! Allen is trying to build a sand castle that will last overnight. He hasn't a chance ~ the tide covers the beach all the way to the sand dunes every night.
We bought skim boards for the children. Actually, we call them skin boards because Anna has skinned her knees on them.
Don't tell my children, but Ruthie is actually best on the skim boards. It has to do with being fearless I'm sure. There is just no feeling like having an entire beach to yourself for as far as the eye can see.

We are enjoying our time here. We are definitely staying the 5th week. Mike flies to Florida next week for work, then will hopefully fly straight here to visit and drive us home. Hopefully is the operative word.

The girls and I sang in church on Sunday. That was such a blessing for us. We are looking forward to singing again next Sunday. It reminds me of 25 years ago when Mike and I drove across the country as newlyweds and he was asked to lead the singing while I played the piano. I enjoy country churches so much.

The Lord has our undivided attention while we are here. We are listening closely for His guidance. Somehow in the busyness of everyday living at home, it is easy to put Him on the back burner. I wish everyone could have this opportunity to get away from the distractions of life to regroup and refresh your vision.

We're off to a new beach with our skim boards. Have a wonderful day. Many blessings ~ Kathie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathie ~ you are making us all wish that we had stowed away in one of your suitcases! Yesterday we had a few flurries, and tonight it's going down to 27 with scattered frost. We must cover up some plants in the garden! I'm sure that's hard for you to believe being on the beach! I hope your husband gets to come and drive you home.

Susan said...

Getting away from the business sounds marvelous! I'm going to have to put more effort into making it happen.