Thursday, September 13, 2007

Bethany Beach, here we come!

Every September, my Dad rents three condos at Bethany Beach, Delaware, for him and Mom, my 3 brothers and their families, and our family. It is wonderful. Everyone comes for the weekend, but last year Dad was able to rent one of the condos for the whole week at no extra cost. So my family was able to stay for a week. It was wonderful. This year we are also staying for almost a week. For those of you who have never heard of Bethany Beach, it is a few miles down the ocean from Ocean City, MD.

We always stay at the Sea Colony where we have been renting since the early '70s. The Sea Colony is made up of nine huge buildings. One of the buildings has an indoor pool year round. We've gone there in January and had fun swimming in the warm pool when it was freezing outside. Wonderful! In the summer they have 5 big olympic-size pools and kiddie pools.

The best part about going to the ocean in September is that we have the whole beach and even the indoor pool to ourselves!!

We will be staying in the building named Island House. So if you want to take a day trip and come visit us, we will be there this Friday to next Thursday. Bring your swimgear! (Let us know you are coming by email ~ I will be online lots.)

To see a list of all the amenities and services of Sea Colony, click here.

Tonight I made one of our favorite meals, pizza! I goofed badly (forgot the honey), but everyone still enjoyed it. This is my favorite crust recipe:

Pizza Crust

Put 2 cups flour in food processor (I use 1 cup all purpose flour, 1/3 cup semolina flour and 2/3 cup whole wheat flour). Add 1 tsp salt and pulse two or three times to mix.

Into 1 cup of warm water (105 degrees) add 1 tblp honey and 1 tblp oil. Pour this into the food processor quickly while pulsing, then let it run until the dough forms a ball. This will happen very quickly, like 5 seconds or so.

Take dough out, knead into a ball for a minute until smooth, then let it rest for 10 minutes.

After resting, punch down dough and roll out. If you have a dough docker, run this across the surface. When your dough is shaped how you prefer, sprinkle some cornmeal on your work area and then lay your dough on top and press down. Place your dough on a greased or seasoned dark pizza pan, press down edges and brush with olive oil. I bought my Ateco (ATC-1357) dough docker on eBay and I think it is the best value for your money. (I spent an hour studying every brand on the internet!) I paid $7.45 and purchased it from Instawares.

Well, I need to go pack. We will be leaving at 9 am because Maggie has a gift certificate to go hang gliding in Ridgely, MD (emphasis on hang!). That should take an hour, then off to Bethany. I will have my laptop with me, so hopefully I will remember the cables and hookups to post here everyday.

My children are outside swimming. Now that the nights are cool, the pool has cooled off considerably. It will probably be time to put the pool away when we come home.

Have a nice week. Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: