Saturday, January 31, 2009

One of my favorite magazines to read is Mother Earth News. I enjoy the recipes, gardening tips, DIY projects, etc. Unfortunately there is a lot that I don't like...the liberal leanings, the references to evolution, etc. So we renew our subscription on a year by year basis.

Last month I enjoyed an article called Five Minutes A Day For Fresh Baked Bread. The basic idea is that you mix the dough and let it sit for two hours. Pinch off enough dough for a loaf of bread (about the size of a small cantaloup) and save the rest in the refrigerator. Do this daily for up to 2 weeks.

I tried it and liked it...somewhat. I think this recipe works best if you use 100% white flour. I used 50% freshly ground wheat and 50% King Arthur bread flour. I also thought the results were a bit salty.The basic rule of this bread is the 6-3-3-13 rule: 6 cups water, 3 tbsp yeast, 3 tbsp salt, and 13 cups flour. I didn't have a large covered bowl, so I went to Walmart and bought this 2 gallon container. I like the way the lid works, but my dough soon burst through in the refrigerator. Yuck!
So the next day I went back to Walmart and bought this 2-1/2 gallon bin, and it worked nicely. Both bins are made by Rubbermaid.
We weren't crazy about any of the breads that I made from this recipe; however, the sticky rolls were the best I'd ever made/eaten. Yummy!
I also made the pizza from this recipe. It was good, but not the best. I cooked the pizza in my 17" cast iron skillet. First I preheated the skillet for 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven. While it was still hot, I put the rolled out dough into it (it sure sizzles!) and then added toppings. I love the way the pizza "pops" out of the skillet with no mess. My children love the chewy crusts.

So take a few minutes and read the article here. I just got my newest issue of Mother Earth News and I see there is an article about cooking with sprouts...another of my favorites! I'll give you a report on that after I try a few of the recipes.

We have had a busy Saturday here. Splitting and stacking firewood, housework, shopping and laundry. While we are working hard, we can smell my briskets cooking in the oven. I am making my famous Paula Deen Brisket (remember to use only half the salt called for) for brisket sandwiches tomorrow . Our church is having a potluck fellowship dinner. That is always something to look forward to.

Enjoy your weekend. I pray you will be blessed by your Pastor's sermon tomorrow. Think snow. Keep warm. Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: