Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy 4th of July! The fan in our computer burned up, so we can only use it for a short while before it overheats. So I will finish this post that I started last Thursday. When Lizzie and I come home from guitar lessons, we are always treated to the most lovely views. We also enjoy stopping to chat with the wooley neighbors.
But today we watched sadly as this pony fought with this large ram...and the pony won.
The pony brought the ram to his knees. I thought the ram would buck the pony, but he ended up being very submissive. It was so sad.
Look what came in the mail this week! My business cards for my blogs! My only regret is that I didn't pay extra to get a Scripture verse printed on the backsides.
Our family regularly gets stopped and asked if we're Christians/amish/mennonite/mormons/religious, etc. I also tend to get asked a lot about living with dairy and egg allergies. Already this week I gave away 3 sets to women who have asked about our family. What fun! So if you are new here, welcome to my blog!
What have I been doing in my spare time this week? Well, last year I didn't wash down the outside of my home at all. This year I'm paying the price for that. The north side of our home finally turned green with algae. See this before and after picture? That's as far as I could safely (well...I went above safely) with my ladder. I did all 3 sides of the garage, now I need hubby to help with a taller ladder. But it sure looks good where it's white!
I bought a music book for my ukulele today, and look at this cute sticker that came in the package!
My fig bushes are looking so healthy this year. Wish I could say the same about the grass. Usually the deer keep these bushes nibbled low. This year we've had no deer problem. I think my neighbor's "relocation" program is paying off.
Allen's chickens have been doing so well this year. Out of 26 chickens, he only lost the runt, who arrived already weak. Then yesterday, in the 94 degree heat, he lost 3 more. So today we will go visit our mennonite butcher to arrange a date for delivering the whole brood...except for the chicken above. The chicken hatchery gives you one free exotic chicken for every 25 that you buy. This gal is definitely exotic...but she's a layer, not a broiler. So I guess we'll keep her around.
I forgot to take a picture of my hydrangeas while they were at peak. The high temps this year are taking a toll and they look drab now. These are probably my most favorite flowers.
Every evening I enjoy looking out to see if the honeybees are home for the evening. Now you can understand why Allen likes to do his hive inspections during the morning when everyone is out collecting pollen!

Enjoy your holiday. We have lots of extended family coming from a couple hours away. There were fireworks all over the county last night. Happy Birthday, America!

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. ~ 2 Chron 7:14

Many blessings ~ Kathie

1 comment:

Deb said...

Kathie ~ your hydrangeas are huge and beautiful!