Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Well, that was certainly a fast Easter weekend! I never did get my dress made, but I finished Ruthie's dress, and that's what counts. Early Easter morning, Anna and Lizzie went outside and cut these daffodils. I love daffodils!


For dinner we had three friends ~ Zachary, Matthew and Philip, and my parents. I served roast beef, Indonesian Beggar's Chicken (my daughters insisted), sourdough dinner rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy, oven-baked green beans, and cole slaw. For dessert, my daughters made poppyseed cake with fresh strawberries. Yummy!! I had so much fun...I forgot to take pictures.
Monday morning came way too quickly. Sarah came over with Abigail so she could do lots of school with the scholars, while Abigail played nearby. When it became obvious that she was sleepy, I took her upstairs and laid her on my bed...and she was asleep in two minutes. I am showing this picture to brag to my family! Isn't she so sweet!
My hubby, Mike, teaches at the Navy Test Pilot School on the local navy base. One of his students is married to a Mexican. So when the student went home on vacation, he brought back a basket of Mexican treats. Wow! We had so much fun eating them, but I have to admit...it was all yucky and sugary. But we enjoyed the cultural exposure. Besides, we think it is thoughtful of the student to think of us. Thanks, Reno! (Don't worry, he doesn't know about my blog.)Anna has lots of friends having babies, so she's busy sewing baby quilts. This is one of her smaller quilts. Beautiful, Anna!
Lately I've been searching online for ideas to make fast and easy (and cheap!) shopping bags in an effort to cut down on the number of bags I bring home from the stores (mostly Walmart). How convenient that one of hubby's t-shirts was headed for the rag bag! I marked off the sleeves and neckline with a regular black marker.
And cut on the black lines with my My-T-Fine electric scissors from http://www.overstock.com/. Such a hypocrite I am...electric scissors, recycled bags!
It took me three minutes to cut out the sleeves and neckline, serge the three seams, and sew the bottom of the t-shirt. Not bad! But it sure looks ugly.
Wouldn't you know it...I found the exact idea on Martha Stewart's website! Our thrift shop has clothes for 30 cents apiece on Tues/Thurs, so that would be a cheap idea to find little girl tank tops and just sew the bottom. Anyhow, it was fun.

I was surprised/disappointed (?) to see these cups for sale at my local BJs store. What's different about them? They're made from compostable corn. Since corn is one of the most common food allergens, I don't think that's a smart idea. Most people I know who are allergic to corn, this would send them "over the edge!" So think twice before you buy these.


I can't believe tomorrow is Wednesday already! Maggie goes back to Walter Reed. Please pray for guidance. The last treatment was a disaster and set her back a good bit. Hopefully she will get her accupuncture for relief.

Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard? the Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth fainteth not, neither is weary? There is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40: 26-31

Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: