Friday, December 28, 2007

Sourdough Pancakes

This morning we had sourdough pancakes...yummy! They were really tasty. The thing about cooking/baking with sourdough, is that you have to plan ahead. Last night I made the sponge for the pancakes (otherwise known as a poolish):

Poolish:

1 cup water
1 cup flour (all purpose, not whole wheat or it'll smell like a sill)
1 cup starter

Mix well and cover with a piece of plastic wrap with a rubber band wrapped around to hold tightly. Let sit at room temp overnight, but not more than 12 hours. I re-use my saran wrap many times before I throw it away. Just dab it dry and hang it in your pantry to collect as many bacteria as you can imagine!

In the morning, make the pancake dough:

Recipe for Sourdough Pancakes:
1-1/2 cups flour (now you may add your healthier flour)
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
1 recipe poolish
1 cup milk
3 eggs (optional ~ we didn't use any)
1/4 cup melted butter

Combine the dry ingredients, mixing well. Combine sponge, milk, and eggs; mix well. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mix well. Let set 10 minutes. Mix in the melted butter. Cook pancakes on medium-hot greased (preferably cast iron) skillet or griddle. Makes 6-8 pancakes.
This is the gloppy dough that you end up with (this is right before I wiped the sides down).I know the recipe says cook on med-hot, but once my cast-iron skillet heated up, I had to cook them on med-low. Ruthie was in charge of pouring the batter onto the skillet while I did the flipping.
Maggie came in and saw me making pancakes, so she quickly got some frozen blueberries out of the freezer and whipped up her blueberry syrup that my children love. And this is what it looks like with syrup! Ruthie tasted the dough before it was cooked and she was disgusted. There is a reason why they call it sourdough! Somehow it turns into the best pancakes once it is cooked!
The only thing that would make these pancakes better, would be if we had eaten these deep in the woods on a campfire. I'll have to add that to my wish list for this spring.

Today we are working hard around here. We are having a New Year's Eve party on Monday evening, so we need to get out of our loafing "vacation" mode and start some serious cleaning. I think everyone must be tired of being "on holiday," because no one is complaining about their lists of chores. PTL!

Have a good day. We are getting rain later this afternoon, so I am feeling extra blessed today!

Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: