Sunday, August 30, 2009

So much for my plans...


Isaiah 55:8 says, " For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD." I always think of this verse when my life takes a sudden turn. This past weekend I expected to get a lot of housework caught up...but God had other plans for us. Ruthie had been congested after playing with our kitty, but I had no idea how poorly she was feeling. I tried to take her to the dr on base, but after one look at her grey face, they directed us to the hospital. At least we were spared the ambulance ride.
When we got to the ER, Ruthie's oxidation level was 87%...so I knew in an instant that we were not coming home anytime soon. (Children are admitted at 96%.) It took two hours of nebulizer treatments to get Ruthie's number up to 96...while she was still hooked up to the nebulizer.
I thought she was looking much improved by the time she was taken upstairs to her room. This is about 4 hours after starting steroids.
What is the worst thing about hospitals? Being awakened every hour for vitals and treatments. By about 3 am, your body takes the hint and refuses to return to sleep.
It was disheartening to see that since our last visit 2+ years ago, this hospital has learned nothing about dairy and eggfree foods. Almost everything on their dairyfree menu had dairy and eggs. We finally asked for lettuce salad and fruit salad...and they sent us freshly cut fruit and salad! It was wonderful. The above food is what arrived for Ruthie...breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She loved it! (The fruit was too much for Ruthie's tummy, so I had to eat it. Someone had to do it!)
It was nice when family arrived to play with Ruthie. Since the hospital was barely occupied, we had a lot of opportunities to share our testimony with the nurses and respiratory therapists. A couple of them were able to share with us their testimonies...PTL!
Mike enjoyed the hospital's free Wi-fi (I'll have to ask him if I spelled that correctly).


Ruthie got discharged Sunday at 1:30 pm. I have been moping about all afternoon...too tired to do anything, and too tired to nap. Hopefully tonight I will catch up on my sleep.


Thank you for your prayers. We received several emails from praying friends. Pastor came by to visit us on Saturday. What a comfort to know that God is control of everything.

Many blessings ~ Kathie

2 comments:

Deb said...

Kathie ~ sure hope all is back to normal now and that everyone gets some rest!

Anonymous said...

Poor Ruthie. Praise the Lord that she is feeling better and is now back home. I hope everyone will get some much-needed rest. I know what you mean about hospitals being a bad place for rest. I've had similar experiences. Take care.

Victoria