Thursday, August 27, 2009

Recently, my sister in law, Natalie, mother of darling Abigail, gave me a large box of baby food that had gone past its expiration date. Well, those dates never faze me...unless it's a perishable item. The box contained 6 containers of carrots, six of sweet potatoes, and 6 of green peas. Yummy!


I used the green peas and made creamy green pea soup. It was so delicious! I just added ricemilk and a few tablespoons of potato flakes for thickening. I let each person add salt and pepper according to their tastes. Easy as pie!
I then tried three different recipes using up the rest of the carrots and sweet potatoes. They were all three good. There are hundreds of recipes online for using baby foods.

Anyhow, because I needed to make my cakes dairyfree and eggfree, I finally settled on this recipe as my favorite (I made up the recipe myself).

Sourdough Baby Food Cake

Mix in 4-cup measure:
1 cup ww flour
1 cup white flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves (opt)
1/2 tsp ginger (opt)

Mix in 8 cup measure:
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup sourdough starter
3/4 cup oil
4-3.5 oz containers baby food, carrots or sweet potatoes


Mix each mixture well. Combine, beat until smooth. Grease and flour a 9x13 dish. Bake in 350 oven for about 20 minutes.

Deep in the woods, we have a spring (actually we have two). Allen is trying to take advantage of it to make a fish pond. So far his experiment is working. He just needs to find a way of keeping the leaves out. (The pond isn't that dirty...this pic was taken at late dusk.)

I would like to see Allen make a huge ice skating rink using this spring. Wouldn't that be fun? Hint, hint.

Today I had a doctor's appt on base with Ruthie (we think she may have Lyme disease). We had just gotten into the exam room when a call went out for Code Black! Do you know what that is? Bomb Scare! It was unnerving to watch so many people scurrying out the building. I will let you know if I learn anything about what happened. Always something going on! Added later: it was just a drill!

A friend of mine posted this quote on his Facebook wall: "The mind is a wonderful thing. It starts to work the minute you're born, and never stops until you get up to speak in public.” - John Mason Brown. I think that is hilarious, but I would change it to "...until you get up to sing in church!"


I hope to get a lot of deep cleaning done this weekend ~ washing windows, blowing all the birdseed off my porch, and washing the vinyl siding and patio furniture. We'll see how it goes.


The public school children had their first day of classes yesterday. We have been invited to two Labor Day picnics, so we've decided not to host our own. I hope I don't regret it.

Well, I've cleaned my kitchen, so I'm going to grab our floating pool light and go for a refreshing swim. The pool is 82 degrees...my favorite.

Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: