Monday, July 21, 2008

Guess what I finally found at our Giant food store today?! White peaches!! We have missed them so much. Last year we ate white peaches all spring and summer, but this year we have been unable to find them. And they are as good as we remember.


Why are they called white peaches? Because the flesh is white as snow. I like these peaches because they have more flavor, but mostly because they are a firm fruit...the juices don't run down your arm while you are eating them. I have 3 white peach trees planted, but it'll be a couple years before they produce. Today's peaches came from Mexico and cost $2.69/lb, so they are costlier than the regular yellow peaches, but worth it. Today we went to the thrift shop as we always do before violin lessons. I got a bag of books and this pottery, all for $1.18 (tax included). Not a bad deal! This dish is made by Yesteryear Pottery in Marshall, Texas. I put the pen next to it so you could get an idea of the size. I have a feeling it originally came with a lid. Maybe I will put sugar cubes in it to serve with tea. Any ideas?
This week, Mike and Allen are taking the Hunter Safety Course down on the navy base. Imagine my surprise when I drove to the far end of the base and saw this log cabin! Yes, this log cabin houses the Rod and Gun Club (or whatever it's called). The inside was just as impressive as the outside.
Look at this bear skin rug! There were animal mounts on all the walls: deer, duck, fish, elk, fox, etc. My dream home! (My name isn't Kathieskabin for nothing!)

There were several dogs running around including this cutie named Hunter. I don't know what breed he is, but he is definitely chocolate colored!

Allen and Mike just walked in the door (class is from 5-9 pm each night). They are tired and hungry, so gotta go.

Our ground is dry. Hopefully we will get some daily thunderstorms starting tomorrow, like the weatherman is suggesting. Our fingerling potatoes are doing well. Ruthie brought in a basketful of green beans to snap. Guess tomorrow will be another vegetarian day.

Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: