Saturday, August 6, 2011

On Sunday, June 26th, Ruthie got baptized in the Patuxent River. She had been trying for 2 years to get baptized but there was always some reason that it didn't work out. So Ruthie started to pray about it...and God answered her prayer with a yes! Here are some pictures of the picnic/baptism. (Thank you so much to Nick for these pictures!)
We all brought our own picnics. Our family chose to sit under the big willow tree where the shade was. It was 90 degrees and humid...but we stuck it out! I made brisket sandwiches...simple but good.






















Pastor gave a 15 minute devotional.


Laura and Steve were visiting from BJU, so they were asked to sing a special.
Here's Pastor giving his devotional.










Here's Ruthie telling how she is trusting in the Lord and wishes to follow in believer's baptism.


"Ruthie, I baptize you as my sister in the Lord, in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit." Amen!


One happy little girl! Ruthie was thrilled that her grandparents were able to come. They haven't missed any of their grandchildren's baptisms. This past week I was reading a book, and the author mentioned that her sister played a tiple...a large ukulele. Well, that got my curiosity stirred since I had never heard of a tiple (pronounced tee-pleh). Turns out, a teple refers to a wide range of instruments that some people say are guitars and some say ukuleles. Since they have 8-12 strings, I'm with the guitar folks. Uke have 4 strings. There are many different kinds of tiples for sale on eBay. Very interesting!
This past week, I was mowing our backyard where we have a little hill. I wasn't very high on the hill...but I managed to roll down that hill on the lawn mower! I didn't realize the front right tire had gone flat, so when I turned a little to the right, there was nothing to support the mower...and over I went! Fortunately I only got a bruise and a scrape on my ankle. The mower landed upside down...with gas and oil dripping everywhere. I stood up and said aloud, "Well, Kathie, you have lots of adrenaline...so push the mower rightside up!" So I did...and boy did I feel it the next day! Sore and bruised. Anyhow, hubby cleaned the mower all up...and this is what a rolled-over, 22 year old mower looks like! Still works like a charm. This past week I bought a new cookbook, so I decided to try one of the recipes. My hubby loves rhubarb, so I chose this recipe:



Fast Rhubarb Cake




4 cups chopped rhubarb
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup (or one box) strawberry jello mix
1 white or yellow cake mix
3/4 cup water
1 stick butter, melted


Place rhubarb in greased 9x13" dish. Sprinkle sugar, then powdered jello mix over all. Spread dry cake mix over all. Pour water and butter over all. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or so, until golden brown. Serve with ice cream.


I skimped on the sugar...but regretted it. Rhubarb is just too sour to skimp!
This is the cookbook I got the recipe from. I enjoy reading all the stories about western living. Good, simple recipes.

Well, we are busy getting 3 of our children ready for camp at The Wilds in Brevard, NC. All three are allergic to dairy and eggs, so they have to make all their own food to take. Anna and Lizzie have been busy making pizza pockets and veggie potpies. I made baked ziti. We will stop in NC to buy sandwich fixin's.

Keep cool and enjoy your summer. Many blessings ~ Kathie

1 comment:

Deb said...

Hi Kathie ~ ooh, I could feel your panic when the mower turned over. I've had nightmares that I could do the same thing. Our backyard is quite a hill, and when I've mowed in past years I would scream quite loudly until someone came running to help me. I'm so glad that you are alright.

PTL for Ruthie's baptism!!


Enjoyed your post.