Thursday, April 12, 2012

These pictures are for Anna...who misses her beloved cat very much.  We took this picture of Ranger with some kind of oil on his nose.  Since he spends a lot of time in the garage, it's probably tractor oil. 
"I'm camped out on the driveway waiting for you to come home, Mommy!"
One last picture.  Ranger checking the thermometer in Auntie Lizzie's homemade yogurt.  "I miss you, Mommy!" 

Yesterday I bought this cookbook at the thrift shop.  The pictures are fantastic.  There are a dozen or so recipes I want to try.  Tonight I tried my first choice:
This dish is called Moroccan Chicken with Garbanzos and Mixed Peppers.  It was delicious.  I served it with Adina's aromatic rice recipe that she shared with me this week:  Mix 1 tsp each of turmeric, fenugreek, and oil to make a paste.  Add 1 cup basmati rice and mix well.  Add 1-1/2 cups water.  Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until water is absorbed.  Tonight I added 1/2 tsp of sumac...and I really liked it!  Thanks, Adina.  (Note to self:  make 4x the amount of garbanzos in the recipe.)
Tonight I will post my pictures from a party my children had this past winter.  It was the night before we left for Florida.  (For some reason this seems to be a popular theme in our family...hosting parties the night before we leave on big trips.  Don't know why, just is!)  I served my coffee punch.  It was delicious.  (Note to self:  serve in a stoneware bowl next time.  This is not a pretty punch!)
Since the party was a last minute thing, the menu was basic.  The S--- girls knew we were leaving the next day so they brought pizza.  What a blessing!  Thanks, Lydia, Hannah, and Becca.
The guys enjoyed playing pool and ping pong...
...while the rest of us sat in front of the fire solving the problems of the world.  I was pleasantly surprised as a parent to listen to these young folks talk about things that matter to them...like childbirthing, health, etc.  Such a nice evening.

I have heard from Anna twice in emails.  She said there is no air conditioning and no dishwasher.  I'm sure the latter wasn't a surprise...but since Anna is always cold, I'm surprised she mentioned the air conditioning.  Is it possible she is finally warm?!!

Blogging is hard when life is dull.  It's the same thing everyday...appts and cleaning. I'm ready for a day trip!

We love and miss you, Anna.  Many blessings ~ Kathie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope Anna is doing well across the sea. I'm sure you all must miss her very much. How long will she be gone?

Victoria

Kathie said...

Victoria ~ Anna will be gone almost 11 weeks. It's good to hear from you. I guess we've both been busy!