Sunday, February 26, 2012

 This past Friday evening, Adina (violin teacher and close friend) brought us a meal to enjoy.  She knew Ruthie and I had bought a copy of the above cookbook, so she made two of the recipes.  Adina and Bernard make a lot of their own indian they are experts in my book!
 This was my favorite, Frozen Spinach With Potatoes (p.116 Saag aloo). Allen and I could've eaten the whole dish ourselves.
 The second dish is called Chicken with Cream (p. 74 Malai wali murghi) is served with rice.  The rice Adina made had super long grains...almost like riced potatoes.  We enjoyed every bite.  Adina substituted coconut milk for the cream...which makes this a dairyfree dish.
 And her apple pie was so good!  It was still warm when she delivered it, so we couldn't help but add vanilla ice cream.  Since little Clara is also allergic to dairy products, I didn't have to be worried about Adina's cooking.  What a treat.  Thanks, Adina! 

We took a meal to our assistant Pastor on Monday.  I sent it in my crockpot...and boy did I miss slow cooker all week!  I'm going to look for another slow cooker on so I don't have to go through that again.
 Last Saturday Mike and I drove to Elkridge Maryland to buy a Total Gym XLS for $295.  I have been wanting to try this gym for years...but not willing to pay the new price of $2000...nor the usual used price of $600.  The gym came with 2 videos that make it easy for me to follow.  I have never seen a gym that is this easy to change parts and operate.  The best part is that I didn't wake up in pain the next day!
 Mike is coming along fine after his surgery last Monday.  We weren't warned about the huge dressings...and his pants didn't fit.  The hospital gave him these blue paper pants to wear until he got home.  I like his crutches...I can always hear the kuh-thump of him coming. 
 Lizzie has gotten really good at french braiding. She likes all the shades of grey in my braid:-) 
 I made some sourdough rolls this week...first time in a long time.  I got a kick out of my children...they put butter and brown sugar in the middle, then cooked them again.  Sort of like pancakes with imitation syrup. 
 We got quite a thunderstorm last Friday.  We had puddles all over our yard.
 Then came the blackbirds.  It was something!
 Allen finally got his tilapia farm all set up and ready to go.  All we have to do now is order the fingerlings.
This shows the 55 gallon drum with a heat lamp hanging down.  We will keep the fish indoors until the weather warms up outside.

Part of the farm is this filtering system that will allow us to grow lettuce thru hydroponics. 
The whole setup is located in our basement, a few feet from our woodstove.  Nice and toasty!

A few weeks ago, I bought this concertina from the thrift shop for Maggie.  She has always wanted one...but they are expensive.  I paid $20 for this one with the hopes that I would be able to replace the buttons that are missing.  Sure cost me $3.50 for the two buttons (including shipping!) from  I even replaced them myself!  Now it sounds wonderful! 

It's been a busy week.  The painting upstairs is going painfully slow.  By the time I finish keeping the fireplace roaring, the dishwashers filled and emptied, the laundry in check, taking Maggie to her appts, and Ruthie's schooling, I have nothing left to give to the paintbrush! 

Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: