Wednesday, February 8, 2012


 Ruthie asked for a professional fryer for Christmas, so we were able to find a super good deal on one.  We tried it out tonight for the first time.
 We tried tempura.  Usually tempura batter has egg in it, but we made a box version that is vegan.  We were expecting Banjo Man to stay for dinner, so I made extra.  Note to self:  Next time buy 5 boxes of tempura mix...or make my own.  I actually found  a good recipe, so I will probably do that next time. 
 I enjoyed this Dipping Sauce as well as a version I made. 


We fried shrimp, chicken, asparagus, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, white potatos, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, red and green peppers, and snap peas.  My favorite was broccoli and asparagus.  I don't fry often, so this is a real treat.  We served the tempura with rice pockets.  Definitely not the healthy momma's dinner!
Allen has been busy these days.  He enjoys listening to his ham radio and keeping track of all the different locations he's connected to.  Right now he is busy as he buys more bees (we lost a hive this winter), orders his chickens for this summer, practices singing for special music, and now...setting up 55 gallon drums to raise tilapia.  I am excited about his new tilapia farm!  (And all his banjo lessons are starting to pay off...you should hear him!)

Spring seems to be just around the corner with this unusually warm winter.  Our red-headed woodpecker is busy on his favorite tree, our bluebirds are busy coming and going to their birdhouse, and of course...there are dozens of cardinals and chickadees about.  I love birds!

Enjoy your week.  Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: