Saturday, November 3, 2007

Making Lumpia

Lumpia is a Philipino (Filipino) egg roll. We ate a lot of lumpia when Mike was stationed in San Diego. All but one of our neighbors was Filipino. We used to enjoy taking our evening walks around dinner time because the entire neighborhood smelled wonderful!

Every time I make lumpia, I always get requests for the recipe, so I'm going to post it here. When I make lumpia for my family, I make a healthier version by baking them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 400 degrees, turning once. Be sure to spray some PAM on both the cookie sheet and the lumpia. For guests, I usually go to the trouble of deep frying them.


Lumpia

3/4 lb ground pork (I use bulk sausage)
8 oz can water chestnuts, sliced
8 oz can bamboo shoots, sliced
1 tsp pepper
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot shredded or minced
2 tblp soy sauce
1 pkg lumpia wrappers

Cook sausage or pork. Add remaining ingredients except wrappers. At this point, I prefer to put the entire mix into my food processor to make all the ingredients uniform size. But this is certainly not required.
Roll the lumpia. We use Orientex wrappers which I find are easier to separate from each other. You may also use egg roll wrappers, but they are thicker and take longer to cook. Your goal is to spread the filling and roll your wrappers so that you have long, thin lumpia. (There are always directions on the package that tells you how to roll them.) Tricky to do, just takes practice Another word about wrappers ~ always buy more than you need. Sometimes the wrappers stick together and you tear a bunch. My children think this is wonderful because they fry up all the torn wrappers and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Yummy!
Deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper napkins. Ruthie was in charge of the fryer today and she did a great job. It sure helped to have her frying while I rolled.
We like to use a sweet and sour sauce called Hawaiian Style Sweet and Sour Sauce by World Harbors.
So bake/fry up some lumpia and enjoy an "international" dinner!

Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: