Saturday, July 4, 2009

This past winter when I read the article on cnn.com about the man who invented a $5 solar oven, I could hear homeschoolers across America shouting YES! Of course, Allen had to make his own, so yesterday he finished his and set it out in the 80 degree sun. It worked wonderfully! The thermometer inside got to about 160 degrees...and that was on an unseasonably cooler day.


The only problem is that Allen made his small and I can't figure out what to bake in it. So now he is making another oven that is large enough to hold my 12x18 dish so I can bake a batch of sourdough rolls. I'll let you know how that turns out.


If you'd like to see good step-by-step pictures of how to make this solar oven, google "blog-homemade-solar-oven" or go to my favorite version here.

I have lots of miscellaneous pictures, so I'll post them here so I can delete them from my files. It's not the dog days of summer yet...but there's plenty of loafing going on. Anna and Ranger love the hammock on the back porch.
Even JJ is taking a break from her wanderings.
Allen wanted me to post this picture of his final k'nex masterpiece. We were both unable to part with his massive collection of k'nex, so we decided to break everything down and store it in two huge bins. Allen's collection was seven years of great deals from thrift shops, freecycle, and gifts. He says he will look forward to rediscovering k'nex with his children. I'm just thankful for the space!
Ever since I started blogging, I've kept a camera with me wherever I go. I snapped this picture in Leonardtown, MD, on my way to violin lessons. I know it's strange, but I am thankful that I still live in a small town where tractors and combines hog the road.
Here is one of my latest fun projects. I found this ugly, rusted tray in the thrift shop and bought it for a dime.
This is what it looks like after a little paint remover.
And this is what it looks like painted white! I have another tray like this if you'd like to try it. It's already been through the paint-removal process...just ready for painting. Let me know and I will give or send it to you (USA only, please).
We watched Allen earn his green belt in Tang Soo Do last week...but all my pictures are blurry. Allen broke a board with his hand, and another with a kick, both on first try. Hurray, Allen!


How was that for a hodgepodge mixture of pictures?! We're off to my parents' home (one mile away) for a July 4th party/picnic. I'll be sure to take pictures.

Enjoy your Independence Day. Many blessings ~ Kathie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That solar oven is a great idea. I hope it works out well for you. I also like what you did with that tray. I'll have to keep spray paint in mind for my future garage sale finds. I found your blog via another blog and am enjoying reading about your precious family.

Victoria