Tuesday, May 6, 2008

We're home!

We finally made it home this weekend. On Wednesday evening we went to church, then headed to the airport to pick up Mike. The airport was a breeze to find. Parking was cheap, so we parked and met Mike as he came off the plane. Then we had to go back to church to pick up Allen, who had challenged the Pastor to a game of chess. Allen won.
It was nice for Mike to be able to meet the Pastor. We had a fun time introducing everyone.
Ruthie fell in love with Deb, the Pastor's wife. She had a hard time saying goodbye to her. The church has a new website, so it will be nice for us to keep in touch with them.
Then we all drove to Cancun, Dad's favorite Mexican restaurant in Flour Bluff. Mike got to try the stuffed shrimp avocado. He said it was delicious. We are going to try making that here without the cheese and egg. When we left Corpus Christi, avocados were on sale 2/88 cents! He also got a fish taco, but it wasn't as good as the ones we used to get in San Diego. My children and I got taco salads that were delicious.
We said goodbye to the beautiful sunflower growing in the backyard thanks to the neighbor's birdies.
Dad cooked a prime rib dinner for us on Thursday evening. It was fun trying to squeeze everyone around the small kitchen table.
On Friday morning we took Mike to meet Dr. Krugman, our miracle worker. We were given the before and after x-rays, then said our goodbyes. We will be forever grateful for Dr. Krugman and his willingness to help us.

We left Padre Island around 9 am Saturday morning, and drove straight through to Maryland, arriving Sunday at 3 pm. Oh the wonders of caffeine!
One of the things I bought in Texas was this huge wok. It is 22" across and comes with a DVD and a special scoop stirrer thing.
So tonight we tried it out. It is perfect! We stirfried 12 cups of chopped veggies, then added 8 cups of cold rice. We ate half tonight for dinner out on the porch. It was great weather. I'm still trying to get used to all the green trees and green grass (and green weeds!).
Since Texans pride themselves on doing everything big, I thought I'd include this fun picture. I'm supposed to say, "Even the squirrels are big," but these are just pretend G.I. Joe dolls posing with a dead squirrel. Looks like someone has too much free time on their hands!


So we are trying to adjust back to our normal lifestyle. It's back to no dryer, no microwave, no satellite tv, no cooking shows, no beach and no fancy eating. Just lots of schoolwork and piano practice. But we enjoy this, too.


Thank you for all your prayers for our safe trip. Many blessings ~ Kathie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathie ~ PTL you are home safely and getting back in the routine. Glad that the trip was a success, and it did sound like y'all had a wonderful vacation.

I'm in SC now as I write on my sister's computer. We're headed to Asheville NC - Biltmore Estates today. I'll be home in time for Mother's Day celebrations.

Happy Mother's Day to you!

taralynn819 said...

What a wonderful trip! Sounds like God refreshed all of you. I visited Padre Island when I was about 10, as my great aunt and uncle used to live in San Benito. Seeing the ocean as a kid was always a huge treat, especially having been raised in Minnesota. Lakes just are not the same.

My brother would appreciate that squirrel picture! His friend's mom used to pay $1 for every squirrel they could kill with the BB gun. There are THAT many in Northern MN, and they are HUGE!

I have to say, I can live without that list in that last paragraph, except for maybe the microwave. I do enjoy watching the Food Network at the gym, though. Otherwise, no cable for us!

BTW, thank you so much for your kind words and prayers for my family. It's been a difficult time for us, but God's grace has shown brightly into our lives.