Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tipi Dreams

One of my all-time favorite dreams, is my dream of living in a tipi. Not forever, but for awhile, like 6 months or a year. There are three Wigwam hotels that were featured on the news lately. This one in Arizona: This one in Kentucky:
And this one in San Bernadino, CA:
For some reason, none of these Wigwam villages appeals to me. You might as well stay in a hotel where you can stand up straight! When I worked at River Valley Ranch, a Christian camp (that has gone liberal), I spent many nights in the three tipis that were set up on the hill. The junior campers took turns sleeping overnight in them. But there was no liner and it was always dark by the time we crawled into them, so the allure of the tipi was lost.

Anyhow, when I found the Colorado Yurt website, I knew I wasn't the only dreamer in America! I even found an online website for people currently living fulltime in tipis. (Some of the pictures show a tipi in the middle of nowhere with an electrical extension cord running out the door:-)

When Colorado Yurt took some of their pictures off their website, I wrote to them and cried foul, so they sent me a bunch of pictures for me to enjoy!!! (And here I always teach my children that crying gets you nowhere!) Even though this bed looks nice, I would prefer sleeping on a bearskin next to the fire.
Doesn't this firepit look cozy?
I know what you're thinking ~ what tribe am I from? Well, I don't have a drop of native american blood in me...so I'll be in the tipi that is made out of homemade quilts!Don't take me too seriously. I'm just having a bit of fun.

This has been a very busy week for me (is it only Tuesday?!) and to quote my neighbor,"I'm just funnin' ya!"

On a serious note, we had missionaries visit our church this Sunday. The wife spoke to the women during Sunday School and she said something that I have been thinking about ever since. She said she has no trouble finding time to read her Bible, in fact, she spends hours studying and reading it (her children are grown). However, she has a horrible time trying to find the time to pray. Satan hates prayer and will do anything to keep you from praying. That surprised me, because I find it easy to pray, but hard to discipline myself to regular Bible Study. What do you think? Please leave a comment and let me know which you find harder to do. Thanks!

Many blessings ~ Kathie

2 comments:

deb said...

Kathie ~ I enjoyed your post! I don't think I'd mind sleeping in a tipi if they all look that comfortable and I wouldn't have to get up off the hard ground!

I agree with you on praying being easier than bible reading. I find that I seem to be praying constantly for everyone about everything. It's easier for me to do. I've found a good solution for getting to sleep is to pray as you're trying to drift off. The devil won't let you stay awake long praying! I always fall asleep when I want to finish my night time prayer list!

Anonymous said...

Kathie,
I love reading your posts and have saved your blog as a Favorite:)
First off, the San Bernardino Tipis are about 20 minutes from my house:) I have never been there. They are more of a nostalgic icon than anything. Definately a city landmark.
In regards to prayer and studying...a thought...if the woman is spending so much time reading the Word and struggling with prayer, wouldn't you think that in her quiet time of reading she would pray? I find myself praying all day long...sometimes long and some times very short...Lord bless Daddy and keep him safe, help me find a parking spot, etc. God cares about all the details, ya know? For me, it is hard to set aside a time and really study the Word. Maybe if I strung a version around my neck I could read it as often as I find myself praying:) JK Not ideal but I really do wish I was more disciplined in my study time. Talking with other moms helps to know I am not alone. My mother-in-law is focusing more on memoriziation right now and carries the verse she is memorizing on an index card with her everywhere...I like that idea. "Thy Word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against God." Blessings today, Hannah