Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Broccoli Cole Slaw Recipe

Yesterday (Monday) was a very busy day around here. We did school all morning, then my children were gone for two hours doing piano lessons, while I ran around town. All the while we were doing laundry and chores.

We live in a wonderful neighborhood tucked away in the woods. There are 8 lots that range from 15-25 acres (we have 23). Well, one of the neighbors has decided to move, so she wants to subdivide her lot into three lots, and get as much money out of her property as she can. The rest of us are against that, so we are in the process of trying to stop it. It took Planning and Zoning almost two months to file our appeal, now in two weeks I have to make a 2x3' sign, send certified letters to everyone involved, and deal with P&Z. To make matters worse, our chances of winning the appeal are slim. But at least I will know that I have done all I could to stop it.

Anyhow, I say all that to say this, yesterday's dinner had to be fast! So Maggie made the most delicious tortilla soup. Simply tasty. Definitely one of her finest. I myself am going to post the recipe on her blog...as soon as she remembers what she did to make it! (Later note: I have now posted this recipe on Maggie's blog. It is on her post dated 29 Sept 07.)I did my part by making a Broccoli cole slaw that I saw on the cooking channel while at the beach. It is a Paula Deen recipe. It was very good. As usual, I forgot to take a picture, so I am using the picture from Paula Deen's recipe file.



Paula Deen's Broccoli Cole Slaw

2 bags (3-ounce) Ramen Noodle Soup in Oriental (other flavors will work, too)
3/4 stick butter 1/4 cup slivered almonds

2 bags (12-ounce) bags broccoli cole slaw (in the bagged salad section of the grocery store)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
Chopped green onions, for garnish

Dressing Mix:

1/2 cup olive or canola oil
1/4 cup brown or white sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 ramen noodle seasoning packet

Put the ramen noodles in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin while melting butter in a large skillet over low/medium heat. Add the crushed noodles and slivered almonds to the skillet and saute, stirring occasionally (keep temperature at low/medium heat). Meanwhile, whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Place the shredded broccoli into bowl and toss with the noodles, almonds, and sunflower seeds. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Garnish with chopped green onions.

Yes, this recipe does have a lot of fat. Unfortunately, Paula doesn't give the nutritional values for her recipes. (She is known for adding lots of butter, sour cream and oil to her recipes.) But for a quick occasional salad, this recipe is wonderful. My entire family enjoyed it.

Also, this recipe calls for 3/4 cup oil, but I only used 1/2 cup oil. I read all the reviews on Paula's website, and the most common complaint was that it was oily. I tried cutting the butter down to half a cup, but it didn't work.

Yesterday Dad gave me 20# of pork butts to cook up for BBQ (tomorrow is his day to cook for church). I put it in an 18 qt roaster overnight and woke up to the most delicious smell! This morning I am a bit groggy. I stayed up late proofreading Sarah's paper for World Literature. Her papers are so good. I was happy to recommend a few commas, but that's all it needed. I'm finally using my English Degree!!:-)

Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: