Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Soup's On!

Sarah made soup for dinner tonight, and as usual, I forgot to take a picture until there was 1/2" left in the pot. It was delicious. I'll try to make up for the lousy picture by posting the recipe here:

Homemade Potato Soup

6 large potatoes, pared and diced
2 leeks, washed and diced
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
4 chicken bouillon cubes
4 cups water
1 tblp parlsey diced
salt and pepper to taste
3 tblp butter
13 oz (1 can) evaporated milk (we used ricemilk)

Put all ingredients except milk in pot and simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender. Stir in milk and simmer for 10 minutes. We used a handblender for a few long seconds to thicken the soup. Sarah also admitted to adding lots more carrots and potatoes than the recipe called for as well as many seasonings (italian seasoning, basil, oregano, thyme and Mrs. Dash). She also tripled this recipe for our family and there were no leftovers.

I am going to make this soup again this week but add 8 cups of broccoli and a cup each of green beans, corn, cauliflower and peas and anything else I find in my freezer!

Sarah got this recipe from http://www.recipesource.com/ which is where we get most of our recipes.

Sarah doesn't cook often, but when she does, you can count on two things. It's delicious and it's vegetarian (usually vegan). Our family was mostly vegetarian for the first 15 or so years of Sarah's life, and she misses that. It wasn't something I did on purpose. It was just my natural bent.

Today the girls and I were practicing a song for special music on Sunday morning. We are having a rough time of it, mostly because my part is a little lower than I am comfortable with and so I have a hard time staying in tune. Anyhow, the first line of this song is, "Hear the Blessed Savior, Calling the oppressed..." We repeated this line over and over so I could hit my notes correctly. Later on I heard Ruthie singing her version of this line, "Hear the Blessed Savior, Calling me a pest." Now I have a hard time singing this line without laughing!

Many blessings ~ Kathie

No comments: